Spartanburg Water has adopted specific policies and procedures that govern any recreational activities on Lake Bowen and Lake Blalock. These rules and regulations have been adopted to ensure that all users of our lakes conduct their recreational activities in a safe and conscientious manner. Before participating in any recreational activities on Lake Bowen or Lake Blalock, please read through the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources Boating Regulations.
Before you come to our lakes:
- Let someone know where you are going to be fishing or boating and when you will return.
- Check all personal flotation devices (PFD), i.e., life jackets and make sure they are in good serviceable condition and are the correct sizes for all passengers (especially children).
- Check the weather before you go.
- Check fuel, battery and boat trailer (lights, tires and tie downs).
- Check to see if the drain plug is in the boat and whether or not you have the keys for the boat.
On the water:
- South Carolina law requires that all children under 12 years of age must wear a PFD (life jacket) if the watercraft is under 16 feet in length and when the motor is running.
- Have all PFDs out and accessible whenever out on the lake.
- Do not operate a boat under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Alcohol can affect you up to three times more on the water than on land.
- Personal watercraft may operate only from legal sunrise to legal sunset.
- When pulling someone on a tube or pulling a skier, you must have a mirror or an observer.
- Check all navigation lights before legal sunset. If not operating correctly, you will have time to return to the dock.
- Know your limitations, apply sunscreen, drink lots of water, and watch your energy level.
- Obey all regulatory markers (buoys) No Wake, Controlled Area and Danger Area.
Courtesy boat inspections are available by our wardens upon request.
Links to safe boating information:
Boat/motor titling and application forms and to obtain information on watercraft registration renewal, click here.
Boating Safety Classes
Information about boating safety classes will be shared as information becomes available.