Community Benefit Program
Spartanburg Water recognizes that its mission includes not only being a good steward of the District’s resources, but it also includes using those resources for the benefit of the surrounding community. One method that Spartanburg Water may use is Community Benefit Agreements. As such, Spartanburg Water authorizes and approves the use of Community Benefit Agreements. The Chief Executive Officer develops and implements procedures and guidelines for this Community Benefit Policy consistent with this Procurement Policy.
Spartanburg Water is one of just a few organizations in the country utilizing a Community Benefit Program and the only organization in the state of South Carolina. Since being added to the Procurement Policy in 2015, 18 vendors have participated in the Community Benefit Program and contributed their resources to the betterment of the Spartanburg Community.
Our Community Benefit Program is an initiative that is designed to benefit the community within the Spartanburg Water service area. With their participation in projects for, and contracts with, Spartanburg Water, suppliers are encouraged to participate in community benefit programs. Below are some of the examples of possible community benefit programs:
Workforce Development: This can include on-the-job training, internships, employment opportunities, and the overall needs of the local community when it comes to employment obstacles.
Economic Development: This can include contracting with local companies, small businesses and hiring local workers. It can also include supporting programs and organizations that develop local businesses and business owners.
Environmental Programs: This can include supporting programs that promote healthy, livable and sustainable communities such as the creation and maintenance of parks, community gardens and public open spaces as well as the protection and recreational use of rivers and tributaries. This can also include supporting programs that promote the care and preservation of natural resources.
Education: This can include mentoring or tutoring within local school districts, support for scholarship opportunities, or support of programs that provide support and investment in local area schools and education.
Businesses active in our program in 2017 and 2018 and the nonprofits that they supported:
- Bennett Equipment: monetary donation to TOTAL Ministries and United Way of the Piedmont
- Cintas: monetary donation to United Way of the Piedmont
- Dillard, Inc.: monetary gift to Meeting Street Academy
- Harper Corporation: hosted career workshops for and made monetary donations to Junior Achievement, workday for Habitat for Humanity
- Haskell: monetary donation to Habitat for Humanity and work day
- Hazen and Sawyer: monetary donation to United Way of the Piedmont
- Hydrostructures: monetary donation to United Way of the Piedmont
- Layne Inliner, LLC: monetary donation to YMCA of Greater Spartanbug
- Republic Services:Twice-yearly food drives to benefit TOTAL Ministries and monetary donations to Spartanburg Soup Kitchen
- Rodders and Jets: monetary donation to United Way of the Piedmont
- Roebuck Wholesale Nursery and Landscaping: monetary donation of an annual scholarship to Spartanburg Community College
- Shred Away: Community Shred Day
- SouthData: monetary donation to Spartanburg Area Chamber of Commerce
- Southern Utility Supply: Spartanburg Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Spartanburg
- Spartanburg Public Works Department: monetary donation to the Spartanburg Salvation Army to provide a camera van
- Weston & Sampson: monetary donation to Mobile Meals of Spartanburg
- Wharton Smith: monetary donation to Hope Center for Children, Upstate Warriors Solution, Mobile Meals, and Charles Lea Center
- Wiedemann and Singleton, Inc.: monetary donation to Hospice Care of South Carolina
- W.K. Dickson Community Infrastructure Consultants: monetary donation, cleaning supplies and dedicated work day at Hope Center for Children
For more information on how your organization can be a part of our Community Benefit Program, contact Remsen Parrish, Purchasing Manager, at email@example.com.